Monday, July 2, 2012

UnWinning Artisan Award Entry...Card #1

I am going to start sharing my entries that I entered into the Artisan Award contest with Stampin' Up! this year.  I didn't win (or even make the finalist list).  I am super sad about that...but at least I get to start sharing my projects with you!  So here is my first card (there will be 5 cards, 3 scrapbook layouts, and 2 scrapbook pages)...
All my projects are SO much better in person!  The details are just harder to capture in person.  And believe me...there is DETAIL!  :)  Each card took well over 2 hours to make.  And this was after I had made a rough draft of one.  So the 2 hours doesn't count the design time.  I wanted to take the time to make sure everything was perfect and put together perfectly and all of that.  But this is the card overview.  Here are some up-close shots...

I used the "Raining With Flowers" set.  This set is a fun one.  I just stamped a few of each kind of flower and leaves, cut them out, and layered them on each other.  Just to give the focal point a little more pop.  Used a Glimmer Brad in the middle.

Then I did two layers of Whisper White Taffeta ribbon and tied some Calypso Coral Baker's Twine in the middle.  Then I spritzed some Lucky Limeade marker onto the sentiment...with the Color Spritzer and added some Early Espresso brads.

Then I punched out lots of circles, sponged them, and layered them on top of each other.  Then I embossed a layer of Iridescent Ice embossing powder over it all.  You can kinda see it in the pictures, but it is VERY sparkly in real life.  LOVE that embossing powder!  I also did a double layer of that border punch to add some interest.  The Calypso Coral background is also run through the Big Shot with the Perfect Polka Dot embossing folder. 

Now....these cards took a long time to make and they also weighed quite a bit.  Seriously...you could drop any card down and it would make a loud sound (for a card) onto the table.  Part of that was because I used LOTS of adhesive to make sure it all stayed put just how I wanted it.  Sticky Strip was my friend.  :)  The other reason it was more heavy was because I decorated the inside of all my cards as well.  I don't normally do that for my cards...but I may just start.  :)  It was fun.  Here is the inside of this card...

I just used some more stamps from the set on the inside (they are also embossed with the Iridescent Ice powder) and tied some more twine around it.  I thought it added a fun touch.  Here is a close-up...
Too bad you can't really see the shimmer...but it was sparkly!

Hope you enjoy this card!  If you have any comments...please share! :)  Maybe it might make me feel a bit better for not winning!  :)

Thanks for visiting!!!!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Whatever "un-winning"! You are a winner in my book, girly!! Way to go!! That is a-maze-ing!!!!:)

Pam said...

You did a fabulously amazing job, Ashley, and you should be extremely proud of it. You just never know who the judges are, what they're looking for, etc...things you can't control. You're an amazing artist and it's an honor to know & learn from you!!! xoxo

Becky said...

That is so cute, I love it.

Technique Tuesday With Custom Striped Accents!

One of my assignments on Stampin' Up!'s Artisan Design Team is to do share some fun techniques.  My first one was shared at the end ...